Sunday, April 25, 2010

Thought about my WOA

I have to say the Work of Art project is the most challenging and also the most enjoyable project for the course. It is a capstone assignment and is supposed for us to reflect on many ideas we have learned during the course and use them to make this project. My understanding is that I should integrate some “forms” that I believe can simulate a compelling experience in the creation of my WOA. A challenge is that the course has covered several subjects, from photography to file and television, architecture and interior design, music and fashion, focusing on the nature and design of compelling experience in each subject. How could I best use the juicy ideas from the reading, discussion and blogging on these subjects to make this WOA?

I decided to explore how a dance show “thousand arms Guanyin” became so popular. After having watched it numerously times, I found the forms that made it different. The show demonstrates marvelous choreography, lavish costume, colorful stage lighting, moving music, and beautiful stage prop. More importantly, 21 profoundly deaf dancers performed the show. The have lived in a no-sound world but their elegant dancing matches the rhythm in extraordinary precision. My feeling was mixed when watching the show—I was thrilled by the shape, pace, and movements of their dance; I was taken into dreams by the beautiful props and colorful lighting; and I felt empathetic with their laborious practice for perfection of each act. By the time I prepared my narration, I have the WOA in my story as a moving story.


Thousand Arms Guanyin - WOA from Julie Jiang on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment