Saturday, February 20, 2010

Imaginative Bridges

As for imaginative bridges between the work of art of this module’s theme and the work of art of teaching, I think the most important idea is probably that, when we design a lecture or a homework assignment, we need keep in mind if any “quality of design” can help lead to any “quality of experience” among students. While shape, light, space in interior design may not be borrowable directly to teaching, I think the principle applies. That is, any quality should be unique, interesting, and thought-provoking.

I enjoyed reading Sarah Susanka's article "Home by Design." It's not because she used her experiences to transform a house into home but also because interior design is one of my favored subjects in my life. I often say to our college interior design teachers that I would take a class when I had time. It will be fun as I like it. I have such a sense of feeling for home interior design when we had our house built over ten years ago. I walked through every single detail with the house and when the house was done, I became a half-designer. The implication of this for teaching is, doing is better form of learning. For students to learn something really well, they will have to do it and experience it personally.

I feel proud when friends in our house compliment on many features of our home interior, including the arch, open kitchen, and other qualities of design. For example, at a party, people may chat in small groups but everyone can see everyone else at the same time. It makes a hostess’s job to serve everyone much easier, too. Maybe this is also a "particular feature" had a big impact on the "particular quality" too.

No comments:

Post a Comment