Monday, March 29, 2010

Motown Music

A friend recommended me a song from a Motown Remixed album – War by Edwin Starr. This album is in his music collection and one of his favorite albums. I listened to it and found it is quite different from many songs I am familiar so I chose it for my music project.

I read some articles about Motown when I worked on the project. Motown music has its tradition in Detroit, Michigan and signifies many famous African-American singers. And this particular song, “War” is what made Edwin Starr most famous. I listened to the song and felt a strong emotion in my mind. It is not because of the anti-Vietnam theme but because of its tempo, rhythm, instrumentation and vocals.

Drum beats, fast tempo, and high-pitch saxophone combines to make a mind-shaking prelude. The lyrics “What is it good for” is a real hook and then, Edwin’s vocals “Absolutely nothing” indeed gives me a thrill. The instrumentation, the lyrics, and the sorrow tone of the singer invokes a sonorous image in my mind—mothers with tears on the face and hands in the air in despair.

My emotions were high and my soul was purified, as the story was unfolded along the lyrics and rhythm. What a moving piece of music!

Music and Compelling Experience from Julie Jiang on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment