Friday, March 5, 2010

Retail Stores and Compelling Experiences

I’m thinking about my project for module 3. For this tale of two retail places, I choose Macy’s and Younkers, two of my favorite stores in Meridian Mall. About the lunchtime on a sunshine day, with a fresh eye and a pocket camera, I’m on my way.

As an anchor store, Macy’s has main entrances from outside the Mall. When I arrived and walked in the first door, the promotional offers on the large signage got my attention. Walking through the second door, I saw the very inviting interior – spacious, well lit, with numerous items along the isle.

The lighting in Macy’s is well designed. There are many lights lining up on the ceiling of isles and also in different angles for display sections, in addition to main fixtures over isle intersections. They gave all displays a beautiful look. When I looked at items, I felt cheerful and experienced a good feeling.

Walking through the isle for a few seconds, my mindset was ready in the store. In the meantime, my attention was drawn to a focal point in the center isle – a set of models in new arrivals of spring fashion. I cannot refrain from walking to the models, paused and took a look. I enjoyed the new style clothes and found a couple of them I really liked. I turned around and started searching for some clothes on the models so I could have a touch.

As we know, shopping doesn’t always mean buying. Sometimes, we need a diversion from work or busy lives and we wander in a store. I was in a mood of relaxation and seeking colorful stimuli. Macy’s interior design does meet such a psychological need of mine and probably many other shoppers. I enjoyed the quiet and harmonious setting, away from a fast-paced work life or a noisy environment -- I could not hear any cars running or people talking…

Many seasonal items are on display. The bunnies, eggs, and many Easter colored items are waiting for my inspection, which reminds me Easter is coming! All of these are very inducing. I walked around the display table thinking about what I should buy for the holiday because I always like to decorate my home.

The “clearance” signs in red, here and there in the store -- they call for impulse purchases. Even if I did not plan to buy anything in advance, I still ended up with two items in hand when walking out of the store. The magic power of store interior design is trigger more impulse purchases!

Another quality I like of Macy’s design is that it has many niche displays, each featuring a name brand’s offering, all within easy reach. I can see every corner of isles has such a display, for Vera Wang, Polo, Tommy, to name a few. Merchandise on these prominent displays certainly helps with customers’ readiness to buy.

All these design features combine to provide shoppers with a great experience, regardless they buy or not, and make you always want to come back.

In comparison, Younkers has some similarities and differences. Similar things include entrances from outside the Mall, in-door promotion signage, and spacious isles.

Unlike Macy’s, Younkers has a second floor. It adds to the store space and also gives me a change. I got a good feeling when I was on the elevator up -- I execrated to see more different items. I also could see the store on the lower level from different angels. That view offered me a compelling experience. As this feature is the only one in Meridian Mall, it makes Younkers different from Macy’s and other anchor stores.

There are several seating areas in Younkers. They are there for customers to take time, relax and enjoy more time of shopping in the store. The patterned carpet and tiles separate the walking isles from display areas. I saw the check out counter with a big sign “At your Service” hanging above, which is open and friendly.

The most impressive feature of Younkers is their display windows near the entrance inside the Mall. Each window displays a designer’s creations, telling the season and new styles. These windows add to the elegance of the store design.

In short, the design qualities of these two department stores, such as the patterned floor and warm lighting, display islands, promotion signage, seasonal products, seating areas, colorful and lovely merchandise, all help create an atmosphere in which shoppers can relax, seek varieties, learn about new fashions, and buy something on the spur of the moment.

I ended up my trip in these two department stories with many pictures. This is a regular shopping trip but a study project. After I considered all I saw, I could not think of any other type of interior design that is able to stimulate a more relaxing and enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment